- Industrial Hemp
The Lake County Industrial Hemp Ordinance was passed by the Lake County Board of Supervisors on March 25, 2020. The Ordinance went into effect as of April 24, 2020.
The Lake County Industrial Hemp Zoning Ordinance was passed by the Lake County Planning Commission on April 7, 2020. Please read requirements carefully prior to committing to a piece of property for cultivation. Additional fees required for Zoning Permit process.
- All Industrial Hemp applicants will need to submit for a Hemp Zoning Permit
- Zoning Permit Application is given to applicant by Ag Department after the initial county Industrial Hemp application has been received
- A grading permit application is strongly recommended for all applicants
- Note: The grading season is closed between October and April
Lake County's Industrial Hemp Rules & Application Process
Note: The application process, permit requirements and inspections can take up to several months to complete depending on each individual application. Please start the process early to allow for adequate processing prior to the growing season.
Prior to cultivating Industrial Hemp in Lake County, all applicants will need to meet all Lake County Ordinance requirements and obtain a Lake County Industrial Hemp Permit and Zoning Permit prior to applying for and receiving a State Industrial Hemp Registration.
All growing of Industrial Hemp in Lake County will require concurrent valid County Permit, Zoning Permit and State Registration issued through Agriculture Office.
Notice of Changes
Please regularly review the California Industrial Hemp webpage for updates and changes to the industrial hemp program.
California has made changes to their Industrial Hemp Program Rules to meet the Federal USDA standards for Industrial Hemp cultivation. Some of the changes below include:
- Lab requirements:
- Sampling Labs will be state approved, list on CDFA Industrial Hemp Website
- Sampling and harvesting timeframe:
- Sampling window reduced
- Test results will be released by lab within 5 days of sampling
- Harvest must be completed within 15 days of sample date
- Sampling requirements:
- Sample quantity will be based on acreage calculation
- Sample will focus on mature flower