- Community Development
- Building Safety
During a Special Meeting held on January 19, 2021 in response to the increasing number of COVID-19 cases within the County of Lake, the BOS voted to close the Courthouse to the public effective immediately while ensuring that the delivery of services will continue via electronic methods. The CDD has immediately enacted a COVID-19 Response Action Plan to ensure that all CDD services can be seamlessly transitioned to electronic and teleconferencing. That Action Plan includes the following but is not limited to:
- Using email, telephone, and video conference services as much as possible
- Updating this website in real-time to address any changes and provide guidance on how to access these electronic services
Building Permit Application Process (REQUEST INSPECTIONS OR APPLY FOR PERMIT HERE)
(Please note: to apply for a building permit , you must download the Building Permit Application in step 2 below, fill it out and submit it to the county in-person or by uploading it along with other required documents.
The steps below are a complete list of tasks/documents needed to apply for a permit. All required documents must be submitted to the County and all related procedures followed or we will not be able to process your application.)
- Check your Zoning
- Check your Base Zoning and Full Zoning using our GIS viewer and our Zoning Ordinance
- Your Zoning Ordinance article(s) will tell you what you can build, where you can build, how high you can build, etc. on your parcel.
- For example, if the GIS Viewer has your Base Zone as "R1" and Full Zone with "SC" and "WW" you would read R1 (PDF), SC (PDF), and WW (PDF) in the Zoning Ordinance to figure what you can do on your property.
- For more information on what you can and cannot do on your property, please visit our Planning Division page.
- Fill out a Building Permit Application (PDF)
- Note: For full instructions please see "Steps to Obtain a Building Permit (PDF)" for Single-Family Homes or "Steps to Obtain a Building Permit for Manufactured Housing (PDF)"
- Gather your plans!
- Two Copies of Site Plan
- Two Copies of Construction Plans/Supporting Documents
- Two Copies of Fire Suppression System Plans
- Two Copies of Photovoltaic System (Solar)
- Stormwater Control Plan MS4 (if within Community Growth Boundaries and over 2,500 square feet of impervious surface)
- Send your plans around to Lake County Departments for approval.
- See the Department Key
- Some of these Departments require separate fees and permits. Once their requirements have been met, a representative from each will sign-off on the Building Permit form. When you have all your needed sign-offs proceed to Step 5.
- See the Department Key
- Located in an Home Owners Association or Not
- Make sure to get their stamp of approval on your plans.
- Gather the rest of your plans.
- See Steps to Obtain a Building Permit (PDF) for Single-Family Homes or Steps to Obtain a Building Permit for Manufactured Housing (PDF).
- Submit all your documents to the Community Development Department - Submit all your Plans along with the Building Permit form to our Building Citizen Online Portal. Please include-
- Application Name
- Project Description
- Project Address
- Property Owner Name
- Property Owner Address
- Parcel Number
- Contact Email
- Contact Phone
- Planning Clearance
- Once we receive your documents through the Portal, your application will be assessed on whether your project meets the zoning requirements. Please allow up to 10 business days to ensure your application submission request matches the appropriate Zoning Clearance fees. Applications without a legible email address and phone number will not be processed.
- Building Permit Processing
- Your application will next move on for full processing. A member of our Community Development Department team will reach out to request the appropriate fees collected for your Building Permit. Please do not remit payment until you receive a communication from us indicating the correct fees.
- Pick up your completed Building Permit
- See Steps to Obtain a Building Permit (PDF) for a building permit processing timeline.
- Once your Permit is ready, a member of our Building team will reach out to coordinate your permit pick-up.
Note: Until further notice, the Community Development Department will be operating under the above transitional plan for Building Permit submittals. Please be advised a full digital submission and approval process is upcoming.
- Sewer/Water District (Special Districts – dealing with public water and sewer systems. Fees collected.)
- Environmental Health (well water and septic systems. Fees collected and permits issued.)
- Local Fire District (fees collected on new structures and expanded structures)
- Lake Pillsbury
- Lake County Fire Protection District (Clearlake and Lower Lake)
- North Shore Fire Protection District (Clearlake Oaks, Lucerne, Nice, and Upper Lake)
- South Lake County Fire Protection District (South Lake area)
- Local School District (Fees collected on structures)
- Lakebed Management (Proposed improvements on lake-abutting properties. Fees collected and permits issued.)
- Department of Public Works or CALTRANS (Driveway encroachments on public/highway/county-maintained roads. Fees collected and permits issued.)
- Water Resources (Assesses properties in flood zones, and determines possible base flood elevation.)
- Lake County Air Quality Management District (Concerned with dust creation in the construction process of commercial and asbestos properties.)
For a faster turn-around of your question, please use our informational pages under the Building drop-down menu above.
If you have additional Building questions, please email our team.
Building technicians are available to answer your land use questions via email, between the hours of 8 am and 5 pm, Monday through Friday. Please note, that a building technician will respond within 10 business days depending on the nature of your inquiry.
To expedite the process, please leave complete information related to your inquiry. Include pertinent property, permit, and owner information.