- Genealogy & Local History
Genealogy & Local History
For researchers working on Lake County ancestry and history, library staff or library volunteers perform brief free searches in the microfilmed newspapers and scan articles if you have a specific date.
Scans can be emailed to patrons and paper copies can be mailed.
- 1 to 15 copies are free
- 16 or more paper copies are ten cents each.
- Submit a Research Request
Lake County Collection
The Lake County Library's Lake County Collection contains books and other materials about Lake County history, genealogy, and other topics. Also in the collection, are yearbooks from some Lake County schools and local phone books from 1947 to the present. Browse Lake County titles in the catalog.
Newspapers on Microfilm: 1862 to Current
The Lake County Library's collection of local newspapers on microfilm covers much of Lake County's history. Births, marriages, and deaths are partially indexed from 1863 to 1949. The Lake County Genealogical Society continues to extract names for indexing.
The Mauldin Notes
The Mauldin Notes are 10,000 pages of Lake County historical information with an index and are housed at the Lakeport and Clearlake libraries, and at the Lake County Museums. The museum has digitized the Mauldin Notes.
Lake County Directories
A few directories for Lake County were published and the Lake County Library does not have copies. The California State Library has some Lake County directories on microfilm in the California History Room.
- 1874 Handbook and Directory of Napa, Lake, Sonoma, and Mendocino Counties.
- 1885 McKenney's 8-County Directory of Humboldt, Napa, Marin, Yolo, Lake, Solano, Mendocino, and Sonoma Counties.
Lake County Formed in 1861
Most of what is now Lake County was separated from Napa County in 1861. Small pieces of Lake County were once in Mendocino County. Pre-separation records are in Napa County or Mendocino County.
Contact each organization directly for more information.
The California County Map (PDF) shows the following counties that adjoin Lake County: Sonoma, Mendocino, Glenn, Colusa, Yolo, and Napa. Lake County's boundaries have shifted slightly over time.
- Email Lake County Genealogical Society for research help.
- Lake County Cemeteries on Find A Grave
- Lake County GenWeb - A variety of indexes and lists about Lake County people.
- Lake County Historical Society - Historic photos and documents.
- Lake County Museums - Historic photos, records, and maps. Early probate records.
- Lake County Recorder - Vital records and land records.
- Lake County Superior Court - Probate records and other court records.
- Lake County, California, Index to Federal Land Patents Database
- Sonoma County Library History and Genealogy Annex
- California Birth, Marriage, and Death Record Indexes are available on the FamilySearch website
- California Digital Newspaper Collection - Lake County stories can be found using this free resource
- California Genealogical Society
- California Historical Society
- California History Section
- California Indian Tribes Research Wiki
- California Office of Vital Records
- California Pioneer Project
- California Research Wiki
- The California State Archives
- California State Library Genealogy Toolkit
- Online Archive of California
- Sutro Library - The genealogy branch of the California State Library